AHS Welcomes New Exchange Students

The first of two exchange students arrived in Atlantic on Friday.

Zachary and Devin McKay welcome new “sister” Chrissy Hitz at Eppley Airport in Omaha on Friday. Hitz will live with the McKay family and attend AHS this coming school year. – Photo contributed by Heather McKay

Steph Freund and Laeni Pelzer

By Steph Freund and Laeni Pelzer

AHS will have the chance to host two exchange students this year. One of these students, Christine Hitz, 16, will be staying with AHS’s very own Principal Heather Mckay.  Chrissy, as she likes to be called, is from Germany and will be a junior.  Hitz plans to be active in all aspects of school including volleyball, basketball (in Germany it is called core ball) and tennis.  She grew up as an only child in the small village Frankenwinheim, of about 1000 people.

The Mckays believe having Hitz stay with them will help develop the female dynamic in their family and help them learn about their German heritage, said McKay. The McKay boys have always wanted a sister, she said. “This was the easiest way we could come up with that,” said McKay.

To be able to host an exchange student, the McKays had to go through a long application process that was “pretty intense,” and have background checks done. The U.S. State Department had to approve them as well.

After being approved, the McKays chose to host a female from Germany because of the lack of girls in their household and their heritage. They were given several applications from different females from Germany to choose from.

McKay said, “Chrissy’s application really spoke to us.” They liked that she was an only child so she could also experience what it was like to have siblings. They also like that Hitz wanted to be well involved in school and was a good student.

McKay said that she is looking forward to “everything” especially prom dress shopping!

The McKays plan on visiting Germany next summer to visit Chrissy and her family as well as learn about their heritage a little more.

Last year  AHS did not host an exchange student. In addition to Hitz, AHS will host a student from Pakistan. A profile on her will be posted next week on AHSneedle.com.