The Javelin Honored with Numerous Awards

Pictured above is the 2013-2014 journalism students.  The 2013-2014 yearbook received four third place awards and six honorable mentions.  This years journalism staff is working even harder on making the book better so they can receive more awards.

Pictured above is the 2013-2014 journalism students. The 2013-2014 yearbook received four third place awards and six honorable mentions. This years journalism staff is working even harder on making the book better so they can receive more awards.

by Christin Hitz

On Thursday, Oct. 23, the journalism students learned how many yearbook awards they won at Journalism Fall Conference in Iowa City.

This year, AHS won 13 different awards. Kate Fulk won the Emerging Journalist award, Emily Yager and Karly Monson received first place in feature presentation, and Turner Russell won second place for academics design. The staff earned second place for the closing spread. The yearbook also earned four third place awards and six honorable mentions.

Journalism advisor Allison Berryhill said that they won more awards this year than last year. One reason is that they were working on making the yearbook even better than last years. “We got lots of compliments on our book,” said Berryhill.

Every year, three students from each school in Iowa can be nominated for the Emerging Journalist Award. This year, Berryhill nominated juniors Laeni Pelzer and Cooper Zablocki and senior Kate Falk, who won the award. The judges are people out of the state of Iowa who are independent and in no contact with any schools.

The journalism students will receive certificates for their work on the yearbook.