Lean on me: AHS students on crutches

By Dillion Cox and Landon Stark
In the halls of AHS there is a crutches pandemic. In the past few weeks we have seen more people on crutches than ever before. There are multiple people on crutches due to different causes.

Tye Neilsen was injured during a football game this fall. He said “I was on crutches for 3 months.”

Hailey Waters, another victim of the crutches pandemic, was on her crutches for five weeks before her knee surgery, and six weeks after. Hailey was in a car accident, and said, “It was god awful.”

Heather Reyna, has an unsual story as to why she was on crutches. Reyna was born with her knee cap sticking out, which eventually caused her to require knee surgery that put her on crutches for six weeks.

Mike Rhode, physical therapist at Cass County Memorial Hospital, said, “There are only two or three current high school patients.” Rhode also said he hasn’t seen an increase in the number of people coming in for physical therapy. Rhode also informed us that people who get off crutches early have a chance of swelling and limping.

Senior Bryce Wernimont joined the crutches brigade last week when he returned to school after surgery on his PCL.

Hopefully this pandemic doesn’t last much longer, or the whole school might be on crutches.