Talent-filled Trojans seek possible state run

by Anthony Robinson

With loads of talent and experience, the Trojan golf team has high expectations for the 2011 golf season.  With four returning letter winners, and nearly 10 golfers competing for six varsity spots, the Trojans will have a pool of talent to compete in the Hawkeye 10. “I think we’ve got more talent than I’ve every seen in my coaching experience,” Coach Ed Den Beste said.

From freshman to senior the Trojans have 23 student-athletes out for golf.  Senior Matt Thielen, and Sophomores Sam Markham, Ben Nelson, and Travis Olsen are the returning letter winners for the Trojans.  With four returners and the deep roster, Den Beste believes that the Trojans will have a real shot at competing for the conference championship.  “We’ve always been second (behind Kuemper) and Kuemper has a really strong team again. Kuemper will be one of our number one challenges.” Den Beste believes that the Trojans have a real shot at leading the pack. The Trojans host the conference tournament this year.  “I think we can get first place in our conference if we play really, really well. If not first, definitely second.  I don’t know any other teams; what they’ve brought in yet, but from what I’ve seen we should definitely be there,” Den Beste said.

Den Beste also said that the Trojans ultimate goal at the end of the year is to either get an individual or the entire team to state.  “This year we have an excellent shot to get the team to state.”

Despite all the talent the Trojans are not 100 percent perfect.  Den Beste said the Trojans really need to “think their way around the course, understanding that sometimes you don’t need to just blast the ball way out there.”  He also said that the Trojans approach to the green could be the real difference this year.  “Our chipping and putting are very important aspects.”  Coach also said that golf is such an individual sport, not two golfers need to work on the same exact things day in and day out. “We’ll do anything to try to keep our scores down.”

Coach Den Beste hopes that the weather changes so that the Trojans can get quality workouts in.  “Hopefully we do really well,” Den Beste said.

The Trojans open up the season against the Kuemper Knights on Tuesday, April 5.  For a complete outlook of the Trojans season click here.