• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Trojan Swimmers Send One to State

Traveling team member qualifies for State from the Trojan swim team.

Members of the boys swim team have some fun at their home meet. The meet was held at the YMCA.

This past Saturday, the boys swim team competed in the regional meet in Johnston. They finished sixth out of eight competitors with a total of 142 points. Their competition was made up of Johnston in first (467), Dowling Catholic taking second (431.5), Lewis Central in third (259), Grinnell BGM fourth (201.5), Council Bluffs AL TJ fifth (186), Williamsburg seventh (85), and Des Moines Hoover North rounded out the teams with 80 points.

Teams are unable to qualify as a whole for State, only individuals or relays.

Individual swimmers qualify by finishing with one of the top 24 times in their event from all district meets combined. This year there were six locations and a total of 49 teams. From the Trojans, senior Nik Landhuis will be competing at State in the 100 Yard Backstroke. He ended with a time of 55.43 seconds, finishing 4th in his district and 23rd overall.

After all events in a meet have been concluded, results from each district are emailed to Des Moines and reviewed by officials. After combining the times from all around, a list is compiled of the top swimmers in each event and sent to coaches by email and published on the state website as well.

Landhuis swims with the Atlantic team while living and going to school in Clarinda. His school does not have their own swimming program, but according to Head Coach Dean Junker, Landhuis is able to complete workouts at a local facility in Clarinda three times a week and travels to Atlantic twice a week to swim with the rest of the team. For the three days when he is not in Atlantic, Junker emails Landhuis the workouts so he is able to stay on track with the rest of the boys. “Nik has got a lot of hurdles to overcome because he’s down in Clarinda,” Junker said, “he’s been a valuable asset for the last three years.”

The State meet will be this Saturday, Feb. 10 at the University of Iowa’s Campus Recreation and Wellness Center in Iowa City.

Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Journalism is a family affair for the Wendts, as Ashley Wendt’s siblings got her involved in Journalism. Her brother Trevor was the first to join and he was the producer of Eye of the Needle during the 2017-18 school year. Wendt’s twin sister Erin was the next to join during her sophomore year. Wendt is one of the lead editors of AHSneedle, so her job is to assign stories to the reporters and edit the stories they write. Her favorite part of journalism is “seeing the finished products” and what others can do. Her most memorable moment in journalism is when she went to a summer camp at Drake University, where she attended a web design class that she thought was “super helpful.” In her free time, Wendt enjoys going on walks with her family and riding her horses. She is also out for cross country, starting her running career in seventh grade. She said she joined because her mom ran and she “wanted to be just like her.”

Story by Madison Botos and Braden Smith