• October 15The boys' and girls' varsity cross country teams will compete in Glenwood on Thursday at the State qualifying meet. Good luck!

• October 15Trojan football has their last game this Friday vs Red Oak. The theme is Pink Out!

Second Year Teachers Take on the School Year

Science teacher Jedd Sherman brings excitement to his lectures by telling many stories.

Last year, the halls of AHS were filled with many new faces. English II teacher Rachelle Lipp and P.E. teacher and coach Tucker Weber are new teachers right out of college, and Science teacher Jedd Sherman is a new teacher at AHS. 

In the past year, Lipp has changed her style of teaching from just trying to get things done to “playing” with her lessons to fit the teaching better. Lipp, said “This is my first teaching job. It’s different than my student teaching job because they had different schedules. I taught a humanities class, which is a combination of english and history which was fun.” Being that it is her first teaching job, she has felt good with her teaching so far in her second year. “Last year when I left school after a day, I felt like I was a good teacher and that was a successful day. This year, I’ve had more of those days” said Lipp. From Lipp’s first year to her second year, Lipp thinks that the teaching has been smoother overall.

English teacher Rachelle Lipp poses with student Rual “Rually” Ruiz before his mock interview.

This is Sherman’s second year of teaching chemistry and physics even though he has an “all-science endorsement.” One thing that Sherman misses from last year is the seniors that he got to know over the year. Another thing that Sherman consider a highlight is getting to come back and have the lab in the order that he wants. In his second year at AHS, Sherman got to “understand the culture” of Atlantic and how everything works around him.

Sherman’s previous teaching job was at a Catholic school. The difference between AHS and the catholic school is that AHS is public and the Catholic school is private so students must pay to enroll. “Well a catholic school is a very nice place to work in but it is private customers. It is a customer mentality a bit more than a public school mentality. So people are paying tuition above their taxes, it has a different feeling so the accountability piece and holding a student accountable is a little different in a private setting. So with a public school, it’s just a different environment,” Sherman said.

P.E., Health, and Coaching are all of the things that Tucker Weber is busy with on a daily basis. Weber’s style of teaching has changed from him lecturing to the class doing more group activities instead. A highlight of teaching at AHS for Weber is creating a bond with all of the kids. In his transition from last year to this year, his delivery of information is much better. “I know the kids a lot more and also your first year of teaching, you are not sure how it’s going to go and then the second year of teaching all the information and delivering it to the students comes a lot easier.” said Weber about his second year at AHS.

Brandon Woodard, Editor

Brandon Woodard is an editor for the broadcasting class. At the beginning of his junior year, Woodard decided to sign up for journalism as he thought it would be neat to learn about the behind the scenes activities. Woodard is a videographer with Alex Harper and also helps with editing. Woodard said, “My favorite part of journalism is getting to brainstorm ideas with Noah (Rutherford) because they are always funny.” In addition to journalism, Woodard is interested in the culinary arts. He has taken all of the available foods classes at AHS except for one that is no longer offered. “I can cook about anything,” he said. He likes to make fajitas from scratch, coming up with his own seasonings and mixtures. Woodard works part-time at the Atlantic Fridley Theaters and said, “It’s really easy and I get along pretty much with everyone who works there.” For his 18th birthday, Woodard got a forearm tattoo: Memento Mori. In Latin, this translates to “Remember Death,” which means everyone is mortal.

Story by Tristan Jessen and Caleb Fulk