AHS Addresses Bathroom Policies

The bathrooms here at the Atlantic High School are open to every student, staff member and visitor.

We are all people at the end of the day

— Daniel Vargason

In the past few years there has been a growth in possibilities that have allowed people to define themselves by their gender identity rather than by a birth gender that may not match their sense of self. The school’s goal is to create a comfortable and safe environment for all. To achieve this, guidelines are established in schools to accommodate all students. However, some students, and even teachers, may be confused about the policies and the reasoning that underlies them.

The Atlantic Schools handbook states: “It is the policy of the Atlantic Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, age, political affiliation, socioeconomic status, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices.” This policy was put into place in 2007, when the state of Iowa added protection of the rights of those who do not conform to gender stereotypes.

(I) try to explain what the law is and why we have to follow it

— Ginger Bechtold

If they cannot personally answer the questions, teachers can remind students they are allowed to see the administrators or talk to the guidance counselors if they so choose.

Spanish teacher Daniel Vargason’s comments reflected Bechtold’s: “I first say if you have a genuine concern go to the administration…I just come here to teach.”

It is not the school’s role to determine students’ gender identities. Rather, schools must follow the state laws that allow students to openly express their identity without discrimination. Guidance from the Iowa Department of Education states: “All students should have access to locker room, bathroom, and shower facilities that are safe, comfortable, and convenient. Absent a concern for safety, schools should permit a student to use the restrooms or locker rooms for which they identify with. If private or separate facilities are requested by any transgendered or non-transgendered student, the student should be provided with those facilities. A student cannot be forced to use a restroom for which they do not identify.” Public schools must comply with this law, otherwise they may be faced with discrimination lawsuits.

The students are welcome to come (to the nurse office) and use the health bathroom

— Kelli Evans

Here at AHS, any student, regardless of biological gender or gender identity may use the bathroom they are most comfortable with. “The students are welcome to come (to the nurse office) and use the health bathroom,” said school nurse Kelli Evans,“if they are uncomfortable using any other bathroom in the school.” Evans explained that students who frequently visit her office likely know about this bathroom option, but others may not.

To help teachers and other school staff members understand how to accommodate all students, the Iowa Safe Schools organization created a seminar. Everyone who is willing to learn and expand their knowledge is more than welcome to join this class, according to principal Heather McKay. It teaches development stages, how to have an inclusive classroom, and the history of transgenderism.

Superintendent Steve Barber provided the following statement: “It is the policy of Atlantic Community Schools to provide an educational and working environment that provides an equal opportunity to all. In accordance with federal and state law, Atlantic Community School District prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of disability, sex, marital status, SES, age, race, creed, color, national origin, religion, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Decisions made at the district level are to ensure the rights of all are met and the privacy of all is protected. We strongly believe as educators that our responsibility is to ensure that all students enter out school buildings each day feeling safe and are ready to learn. Our daily actions are in response to achieving this goal. The Atlantic CSD Anti-bullying/Harassment Policy is one piece that helps guide us in providing a safe place to work and learn.”