TWIRP Coming to AHS in December

TWIRP is coming earlier this year

DANCE%2C+DANCE-+Students+danced+with+the+saxophonist+at+TWIRP+last+year.+TWIRP+will+not+be+held+in+the+gym+this+year+and+will+feature+a+DJ.+

DANCE, DANCE- Students danced with the saxophonist at TWIRP last year. TWIRP will not be held in the gym this year and will feature a DJ.

The most common one word description of TWIRP across AHS is “relaxed.” TWIRP, a dance involving all grades that typically takes place in the winter, is fairly new to students currently attending Atlantic.

TWIRP is a student favorite throughout the school. TWIRPosals add a little more excitement during the eventful week. After a girl asks a guy to the dance in a creative way, either of them can post a picture of it on Twitter and tag AHSFuel for the chance to win a gift card from a town favorite, Rancho Grande.

Last year was the first year it was brought back to the school for the current grades. Principal Heather McKay said, “Kids were very good, so I thought I should reward them.”  TWIRP is an acronym for ‘The Woman is Required to Pay.’ It stands out from every other dance hosted at our school because, not only do the girls pay for the tickets, they are also required to ask the boy to attend the dance with them. The dress code is similar to Homecoming’s, jeans and a nice shirt.

The dance takes place on Saturday, December 16 and the week before is considered the schools ‘TWIRP week.’ Different events take place during TWIRP week for school spirit. Monday through Friday creative dress-up days are planned. This year they will include, Monday: Stoplight Day, Tuesday: Squad Day, Wednesday: Christmas in July/Hawaiian, Thursday: Salvy Day and Friday: Dress Like Your Date Day. Eric Miller said, “The dress up days are my favorite.” Junior Karsyn Rush speaks her own opinion about how only some of the days are her favorite.

During the course of the week, a volleyball game also takes place between the students. Typically the freshmen play the juniors and the sophomores play the seniors for round 1. The winners of that game compete and the champions play the teachers for a final battle.

To start the process of having a school wide dance, a school representative or advisor has to bring the idea to McKay, even better if in a formal meeting. In TWIRP’s case it was Daniel Vargason, advisor of AHSFuel. “We just have a conversation,” Vargason said, “unless there’s a conflict, it’s usually permitted.”

You know it’s a good outcome when kids leave the dance dripping in sweat and nobody’s crying in the bathroom.

— Principal Heather McKay

After the dance is approved AHSFuel is in charge of planning and running the entire thing. “We have to prove what it takes,” said Vargason. Members of the group discuss the dance during their Thursday morning meetings. They figure out all the details including chaperones, ticket prices, decorations, advertisement, police officers, food choices and music. “You know it’s a good outcome when kids leave the dance dripping in sweat and nobody’s crying in the bathroom,” said McKay.