BBB Districts vs. Winterset 02.20.17

Cody Buchman, Sports Editor

Monday night the Trojan boys’ basketball team will host Winterset in district basketball. The Winterset Huskies finished their season 6-15 placing last in the Raccoon River Conference. Some of the teams in this conference consist of Boone, Carroll, Perry and ADM.

The Atlantic Trojans finished their 2016-2017 season 16-5 finishing second in the Hawkeye Ten Conference behind Kuemper Catholic. The Trojans last competed against Winterset in the 2016-2017 season opener in which the Trojans defeated the Huskies 83-59. Atlantic finished 16-5 this season.

Atlantic senior Garrett Franken ranks 14th in the state across all classes in scoring. Franken is also second in Class 3A and the leading scorer of the Hawkeye Ten. Franken averages 24.1 points-per-game; which based off of that statistic is good enough for seventh in the state in scoring among players with 318 points of more this season.

Winterset sophomore Casey Kleemeier is fourth in the Raccoon River Conference in scoring with 16.0 points-per-game and 337 points thus far this year. He also is third in the conference in assists with 82.

Junior Austin Alexander ties for third in the Hawkeye Ten in assists with 91 thus far this season while Franken follows close behind in fifth with 75.