Trojans tame Panthers

by Anthony Robinson

Following a Trojann win, the Trojans looked to win game two of the girl-boy double-header Thursday night at AHS.   The Trojans were able to end the game on a 28-2 run to cruise to a 68-42 win.

The Trojans and Panthers both came out playing very sloppy.  The Trojans picked up six cheap fouls and commited numerous turnovers in the early minutes of the game.  Creston was content to run their offense until they were able to get a good shot off.  The Trojans were content to sit back and wait for the Panthers to run their offense, with little to no defensive pressure in the first quarter.  Despite, the Panthers ability to run their offense, they could not buy a bucket.   Creston was held scoreless in the first quarter.  The Trojans led 16-0 after the opening quarter.

The Panthers were able to get their first field goal at the 6:25 mark in the second quarter, before going on a 16-4 run to cut the Trojans lead to six, 22-16 with under two minutes to play in the half.  After trailing by 18 early in the quarter, the Panthers were only down eight, 26-18 heading to the locker room.   Senior forward Derek Tjepkes who lost his spot in the starting lineup, played substantial minutes in the first half contributing many rebounds and four points.

To open the second half, the Panthers built on their momentum from the end of the first half by scoring on their opening possesion, and causing a Trojan turnover on the Trojans’ first possesion of the half.  Sophomore Chad Christensen hit a three-point field goal to end the Trojans’ careless start of the second half.  The Panthers outscored the Trojans in the third quarter 17-11 and trailed by only two, 37-35 heading into the final quarter.

After a lay-up by Creston sophomore Luke Neitzel, the Panthers tied the game at 37 in the early stages of the fourth.  After a three-pointer by sophomore Sam Markham, Pather sophomore Colby Taylor hit a field goal from beyond the arc to tie the game back at 40.  This bucket at the 5:30 mark in the fourth quarter proved to be the second to last bucket of the night for the Panthers.  After a swing of five points in only 20 seconds, the Trojans regained the lead at 45-40.  After a field goal by Markham to extend the lead to seven, sophomore forward Dalton Franken took charge of the game, scoring the next nine points for the Trojans.  Franken had 14, of his game high 18, in the second half.  Franken said, “I knew I had to play a lot better in the second half (than in the first half). (Coach) said I had to attack the bucket more… getting to the free throw line was key to getting my shot down.”  Franken went seven for seven at the charity stripe in the fourth quarter alone.   The Panthers were able to get a lay-up, but were only able to stop the bleeding for a possesion, as the Trojans ended the game on a 28-2 run.

Markham ended the game with 13 points for the Trojans.

Creston was led by Neitzel with 12, and sophomore Briar Evans finished with 10 points.

The Trojans travel to Red Oak Friday night to take on the Tigers.

View Comments (1)