Trojanns need overtime to defeat Clarinda

Sophomore MacKenzie Holmes sinks a freethrow.

By Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojann basketball team hosted the Clarinda Cardinals Tuesday night in the AMS gym. According to Trojanns’ Coach Casey Pelzer, “Poor shooting on both sides rather than good defense” accounted for the low scoring affair. The Trojanns were able to defeat Clarinda 39-34 in overtime.

With the win the Trojanns improved to 2-4 on the year.

“It was a heck of a battle, neither team could buy a bucket,” coach Pelzer said.

The Trojanns saw themselves down 25-23 with less than five minutes left in regulation, before senior guard Jessi Arneson hit a three-point field goal to put the Trojanns back on top 26-25.  After a lay-up by junior forward Sam McConnell the Trojanns led 28-25.  With 1:30 remaining Arneson turned the ball over and quickly fouled the Cardinals to send them to the free throw line.  Clarinda was able to hit both free throws to pull within one.  After four Cardinals’ fouls the Trojanns were headed to the free throw line to extend their modest lead.  Clutch senior forward Taylor Young was able to hit both of her throws to put the Trojanns’ lead back at three.

After a Trojanns’ foul sent Clarinda to the free throw line, the Cardinals were unable to hit either of their free throws.  Clarinda did win the offensive rebound and made a lay-up to cut the Trojanns’ lead to one.

Junior point guard Paige Kennon was sent to the line with 35 seconds remaining in the fourth.  She was to make one of two from the charity stripe.

On the next possession, Clarinda was able to drive down the floor and hit a field goal to tie the game at 31.  With four seconds left the Trojanns were forced to call a timeout.

As time expired, McConnell got a great look for the Trojanns but her shot rolled in and out of the cylinder.   The game was headed to an extra period.

A big three-point field goal by Arneson put the Trojanns up early in the overtime.    After a free throw by Young and a strong post move and bucket by junior forward Alex Hartwig, the Trojanns led 37-33 and never looked back.  Young added to her game high 12 points with a made free throw with 26 seconds left to extend the lead to 38-33.  The Cardinals went to the line again after a cheap Trojanns’ foul.  Clarinda was able to hit only one of two free throws to cut the lead to 38-34.  The Cardinals had their chances at the free throw line, but were unable to convert.  To seal the win, Kennon hit one of two from the free throw line, to end the game 39-34 Trojanns.

The Trojanns host the Shenandoah Phillies Friday, at AMS, due to the Rollin Dyer Wrestling Tournament at AHS.