Trojans win first game of season

Junior forward Gunnar Blum fights for position.

By Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojans boys basketball team picked up their first win of the season against Red Oak, Tuesday evening at AHS, 76-45. “The young kids needed a win more than anything,” coach Steve Blazek said.   The Trojans had contributions from many different players.  Four players finished in double digits for points.   Sophomore forward Harrison Hoegh led all scorers with 17 on the night.

The Trojans improved to 1-3 on the season.

The Tigers looked like they were going to make a game of it in the first quarter.  After the Trojans jumped out to a 5-0 lead, the sharp-shooting Tigers went on a 13-2 run to take an early 13-7 lead.  The Tigers led after the first quarter 13-11.

The Trojans began to run away with the game early in the second quarter, jumping out on a 12-0 run during the first 1:25 of the quarter.  Led by sophomore forward Dalton Franken’s 10 points, the Trojans built a 39-22 lead at the halftime break.  The Tigers were outscored 28-9 in the second quarter. The Trojans spread the ball around the court with six players breaking into the scoring column at some point during the half. “We passed the ball well overall,” Blazek said.  Franken led all scorers in the first half with 12 points.

With contributions from five Trojan players, the Trojans went on a 22-2 run during the first four minutes of the second half to build a 61-24 lead.

The Tigers were able to make a few shots in the final quarter, but were unable to cut into the large deficit.

Sophomore point guard Chad Christensen had 14 points, and sophomore guard Sam Markam and Franken finished with 16 points apiece.

Red Oak was led by Colby Wise with nine points on three three-point field goals.

The Trojans host the Kuemper Knights in a Hawkeye 10 conference game Friday night.