Military Affects AHS

Military Affects AHS

By Kylie Juelsgaard and Justice Parker

Although the military may seem far removed from some AHS students, for others it hits home. Some students have close friends and relatives in the military. A number of AHS students have gone through basic training just this past summer, or are planning to go after high school.

Junior Rachelle Wagoner’s brother-in-law, Stephen Kay, went to war in Afghanistan.  Wagoner said, “When (Stephen) left for war it made me sad because I just thought about if he got hurt or killed.”

Senior Hailey Waters’ uncle was also deployed to the mideast. Waters said, “When my uncle went to Afghanistan, I was sad because I didn’t know if he was going to come back or not. After all, I was only 7 years old at the time.”

Math teacher Jessica Humpfer’s brother is in the Marines. Humpfer said, “When he went, it made me appreciate him a lot more and care about him a lot more.”

Freshman Colin Juelsgaard’s brother Cody just left for the Marines last month. Juelsgaard said, “I was sad to see him go but I was proud of him. And it made me appreciate him a lot more.”

Junior Ashleigh Waltz’ boyfriend, 2013 Graduate JT Baker, went to basic training for the army in Georgia and was gone 6 months. Waltz said, “It’s sad but I have more time to study since he’s gone.”

Art teacher Pat Wiederien’s son Nathan served in the Army for more than four years.  She commented on the connection among families that have loved ones in the military. “There is kind of a subculture–like the Beachers, like the Schlakes (families with children in the service)–we all have that military connection. It’s important to us. There’s a unity. You pay attention.”