Freshmen-to-Be

2011-12 AHS freshmen Savannah Sorensen, Collin Baker , Timothy Laughlin

By Zoe Krueger

Do you remember your first day of high school, freshman year, scared to your core? Or maybe you were excited? Or nervous? As the current eighth-graders prepare for their first day to come this fall, they share what they think the high school experience will be like.

What did you think high school was going to be like when you were a “little eight-grader”? Did you think it was going to be like the movies and TV shows? Or were you completely clueless? Several students shared what they think freshman year will be like for them. Savannah Sorensen believes that high school is going to be “scarey,” because of the fact that it is different than middle school. Monica Brewer said, “I think its going to be a little bit challenging, but in the end it will be easy.” Haley Brabham, a new student in the ACSD second semester, said from watching her older brothers, she thinks it will be hard.

Excited or not, we all were a little nervous about something or another. Haley Brabham said, though she has some older friends already in high school, she is still nervous about being surrounded by all the older students. Jackson Anderson said that what makes him nervous is being in a new school with harder subjects. Sometimes though, there are kids who can’t think of anything to be nervous about, like Collin Baker and Tim Laughlin.

When entering into high school, some of us may have had high hopes that it would be completely different from middle school: less drama, different teachers, better classes. Collin Baker hopes that the classes are different and that we do “funner stuff” in them. Jackson Anderson hopes that there will be more activities and more places to go to. Monica Brewer, like the rest of us did, hopes there will be new friends to make, more activities to be involved in, and that every little option will be different from middle school.

As eighth-graders, we all had opinions about what high school would be like. Whether we were right or not, we all entered through the same doors in August, walked the same halls, and survived.

2011-12 AHS freshmen Haley Brabham, Monica Brewer, Jackson Anderson

View Comments (1)