Everything You Need To Know About Prom (but were afraid to ask)

by Lauren Krogman

As juniors at AHS are anticipating their first prom, they have a lot of questions that they need answers to!  I took the most popular questions around AHS to answer to the best of my ability!

Q:  Does the girl have to buy the boutonniere for the guy?

A:  This solely depends on what you and your date decide.  Many men buy the corsage for the woman, while the woman buys the boutonniere for the man.  On the other hand, the guy may buy both if he wants to “take charge” of the finances.  I would start with talking to your date and deciding who will buy what!

Q:  What do I wear for after prom?

A:  Whatever you want!  Many girls choose to wear jean shorts or capris and a nice shirt, but if you would rather wear athletic clothes to be more comfortable: do it!  You will most likely see guys in jeans or athletic shorts, but the wardrobe does NOT have to be dressy.  This year there will be bouncy houses and other athletic games, so you may want to take that into consideration when choosing your after prom outfit.

Q:  Do you go out to eat before prom?

A:  You may do whatever you choose before prom, but most kids in our school do not go out to eat before.  There are snacks at pre-prom at the hospital, and you will be fed all night long.  Many kids eat at home before pre-prom because it starts at seven o’clock.  You will be fed Subway and pancakes during the night also, so you will have plenty to eat!

Q:  Do I have to drive a cool car?

A:  NO!  You will see a lot of people driving old fashion cars or big trucks, but you absolutely do not have to drive a cool car.  A lot of kids drive their own cars or their parents cars!  If you are worried about not having one, think about this:  you’ll pick up your date, drive to the hospital, then to the high school.  That’s it!  No one really pays attention to the car you drive except for you and your parents!  So don’t fret!

Q:  How far in advance do you need to order your tux?  What if I can’t afford a tux?

A:  You will need to organize your tux rental about a month ahead of time!  Formal wear stores are swamped at prom time so you need to keep that in mind!  If you can’t afford a tuxedo, there are many choices for you!  Many guys borrow their dad’s tuxedo or a suit that they have!  You could also go to a thrift store to buy a tux.  Many of these stores have brand new suits that have never been worn!  And they’re cheap!  Always look into other options before you decide to not go to prom!

Q:  Do I have to get my hair professionally done?

A:  Absolutely not!  Many girls do their own hair!  Some even have their friends come over and get ready together.  A lot of girls get their hair professionally done because it is more convenient.  Usually prom hair appointments run from $30-$50, depending on what salon you go to!

Q: If I don’t have a date, what do I do?  Who do I walk with at grand march?

A:  There are many things you can do, so don’t freak out!  First, try to find anyone who doesn’t have a date!  Either plan to go together, or find a group of friends to go with!  As for grand march, if you don’t have a date, you could either walk with a group of friends or walk by yourself!  I have also seen guys or girls go back and escort another person!  It’s very common!  From my experience in watching and being a part of grand march, no one really remembers who you walked across with.

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 8.11.44 AM

Above are twenty juniors from last years prom. They decided to go as a group to take pictures before pre-prom. They are really looking forward to their last prom as seniors.