Cold Weather Hits Atlantic

Cold Weather Hits Atlantic

By Madison Helvie
Iowa, home of cold winters and hot summers. But lately the cold seems just unbearable and questions have already risen as to why is it so cold? According to http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-07/why-is-it-so-cold-the-polar-vortex-explained.html

The reason for the freezing temperatures is a polar vortex. A polar vortex is a persistent, large-scale cyclone located near either of a planet’s geographical poles. What happens is cold air circulates around the us blowing cold air. However people have began to question if this disproves global warming however in Austrailia temperatures are still in the 100’s once again proving this might still be global warming related.

On Monday Jan, 6 2014 The Atlantic Community School District proposed to have a 2 hour late start due to the predicted dangerous temperatures. On Sunday Jan, 5 however they decided to cancel school along with schools are over because of extreme temperatures. In fact on Jan 6 the temperature here in Atlantic was expected to be as low as 15-to-25 degrees below zero overnight into Monday. making Alaska warmer than Iowa. Strong northwest winds were expected to create wind chills of 35-to-60 degrees below zero across the state according to http://www.kjan.com/index.php/2014/01/iowa-news-headlines-mon-jan-6th-2014/.
Due to the cold many people have used space heaters and fires have broken out burning houses and making this a dangerous winter. We complain about the heat in the summer desperately wanting it to be winter but lately it seems summer would almost be better than this.