What is the National FFA Convention?

By Haley Carlson

This year, the Atlantic FFA members were given the option to apply for a chance to attend the National FFA Convention in Louisville, Kentucky at the end of October. There will be 55,000 kids from all 50 states in one city.  Once the applications were turned in they were then analyzed and the top seven were chosen to go, along with two alternates.  FFA members going include:

Senior, Wyatt Saeugling

Senior, Tucker Sager

Senior, Steven Wright

Senior, CJ Richards

Senior, Paige Sorensen

Senior, Kristin Johnk

Sophomore, Haley Carlson

Alternates are: Junior Clinton Hansen and Junior Calley Klindt.

The Atlantic FFA Ag director, Eric Miller, said that Atlantic FFA members had to fill out applications.  Once they turned in the applications, Miller and four other teachers evaluated them. With the recommendations from the administration the final decision was made by Miller and principal, Heather McKay.

While at the convention, FFA members will be attending leadership workshops, listening to motivational speakers such as Lousiville head basketball coach, Rick Pitino, going on tours, visiting FFA headquarters, and attending the Dierks Bentley concert. Miller wants the members to gain more knowledge in leadership, and realize how big National FFA really is.  Miller believes it’s a great opportunity for the students. He hopes it inspires the Atlantic FFA to be more active in the community.

Senior Steven Wright said he is “very excited to go.”  Wright continued saying that he is looking forward to seeing new places and meeting new people. Wright decided to apply since it is his senior year and he’s never been before.

Senior Kristin Johnk is also pretty excited to go. Johnk said that she is looking forward to getting out of school for a week and participating in the activities. She applied because she was, “hoping for a different opportunity,” since she has already been to the Indianapolis convention.