Prom is Here!

By Hailey Waters

Atlantic High School Prom 2013, Out of This World, is Saturday, April 13. Since AHS runs a closed prom, only juniors and seniors from Atlantic High School will be able to attend the festivities.

dresses
Juniors Bailey Walter, Josie Anzalone, Jordan Nielsen and Alexi Allen show off the prom dresses they’ll be wearing Saturday night. The junior class will host the dance on April 13.

The night starts off with Pre-Prom at the Cass County Memorial Hospital from 7-8:30 p.m. This is where professional pictures will be purchased and taken, dance cards will be filled out, and appetizers will be served. Cars will be parked for you at Pre-Prom by parents on the Pre-Prom committee.

Junior Becky Schuler said she will be wearing a pink dress she purchased at Jordan Creek in Des Moines. She’ll attend with Corey Whitt and Heather St. John. Some students attend in pairs, but there is a trend to attend with a small group of friends.

Next everyone procedes to the high school gym and commons from 8:45-12:30 a.m. for Grand March and the dance.

Senior Emily Hemphill said she is most looking forward to post-prom, which is held in the high school in the commons from 1-2:45 a.m. According to junior prom chair Leah Tjepkes, post-prom activities will include lasar tag in the multipurpose room and casino games in the gym.

Prom breakfast will start at 2:45 a.m. and go until 4:30 a.m. in the commons. A hypnotist will provide entertainment. Clean up/ tear down will begin at 4:30; this is just for the juniors on a prom committee.

According to the memo sent to juniors and seniors, the pre-prom and prom dance are very “dressy” activities. All men planning on attending prom will need to wear dress suits, sport coats, ties, or tuxedos. All women planning on attending will need to wear dresses.

Flowers are usually purchased by men for their dates and the women reciprocate by purchasing boutonniere for men. The couples usually split the cost of pictures then split the number of pictures. Picture information is available at the school office.

Pat Wiederien is in charge of prom. If anyone has any questions about it, they may contact her.