Soccer Meeting

By Brett Keegan

Soccer season 2013 starts with a bang at the meeting that was held on Monday, March 4, 2013.  Athletes who missed the meeting need to email Coach Williams and or contact one of the seniors. At the meeting, the main topic discussed was shirt designs and numbers. Also, the team and coaches talked about holding open gym at the middle school today at 3:45. There was also be one tomorrow at 3:45 in the YMCA. So far there is 25+ people signed up, but students interested are also encouraged to go out. Sophomore Matt Smith said, “I hope this year we will make it to state, and be Atlantic’s first team ever too.”

Coach Justin Williams said, “Coaches for the boys are excited for the upcoming year.” He thinks the players are also excited. Williams said this is one of the best classes of boys AHS has had in means of skill level. This is also the fourth year so the seniors, who have played since our freshman year will know the game a lot better. Williams also stated, “There is a chance that our team will be moved to 1A in soccer. Teams we already play such as Tri-Center, Saint Alberts, Underwood, and Riverside are in this class, but we would play new teams like Nodaway Valley and Clarinda Academy.”

The Atlantic Trojans went 6-9 last season. They plan on improving their record and even competing at state.

Midfielder Brett Keegan dribles past the defender in a 2012 season, picture by www.swiowanewssource.com
Midfielder Brett Keegan dribbles past the defender in the 2012 season, picture by www.swiowanewssource.com