• March 11There is a college planning/financial aid night on Thursday in the auditorium starting at 6:00 p.m.

• March 11There is no school Thursday and Friday due to Parent/Teacher Conferences.

• March 11The Female Athlete Symposium is tomorrow night 5:00-10:00 p.m.

• March 11Tennis practice starts today!

• March 11The wrestling banquet is tonight starting at 6:30 p.m. Congrats on the incredible season wrestlers!

• March 11Boys' soccer practice starts today!

• March 11Golf practice starts today!

To Vaccinate or Not?

Nurse Kelly Evans is available for questions in her office.

The flu vaccine has recently been “the talk” around medical fields, schools, and parents. There has been controversy about if someone should or should not get the vaccine.

School Nurse Kelli Evans said that she “100 percent believes people should get the vaccine.” Evans said, “the flu shot can be deadly, but I’m not sure that we want to call the flu the deadly virus, or just the complications from the flu.” It can be a deadly virus, but it’s also supposed to protect people from getting the flu. Getting the vaccine yourself also protects people around you, including those who are more vulnerable to serious flu illness, like babies and young children, older people, and people with certain health conditions. The flu shot also benefits women who are pregnant. If you are pregnant and you get the shot, it protects your baby from getting the flu after birth.

Evans said that people, especially children, should get the flu shot to help prevent the flu. Evens said, “Especially for the people who are immunocompromised such as children or people with underlying health issues such as asthma because those are the people who could get really sick and even die.” Evans also said that she doesn’t recall anything unhealthy about the flu shot, unless you are allergic to eggs, then you should not get it. Nurse Evans said you should get the vaccine usually in the fall, starting in October once a year. Evans said, “The sooner the better since it usually takes 2 weeks to get the full effect after getting the vaccine.”

Many people don’t agree with the flu vaccine. The biggest argument is that the flu can be deadly. When someone gets the flu vaccine it takes 2-3 weeks before it actually “works.” There are many side effects from the vaccine as well. These include, soreness, redness, and/or swelling, headache, fever, nausea and muscle aches. It is said that the vaccine can also give you the flu. In 2016, the flu vaccine was reported to be only 46% effective during the flu season. There are also arguments that have said vaccines deliver live viruses directly into your body, damaging your body’s immune system. If your immune system is weak or out of balance when you get the virus, you could have health problems.