There are many part-time job opportunities available for high school students around the area. Here is a list of six places of business that are searching for part-time help. (Avery Andersen)
There are many part-time job opportunities available for high school students around the area. Here is a list of six places of business that are searching for part-time help.

Avery Andersen

Area Jobs Available for High School Students

January 10, 2019

After the School to Work Committee sent out a career-interest survey, many new opportunities have been presented to AHS students. As communication with local businesses began, many expressed available positions in their workplaces.

Dance Atlantic

Dance Atlantic has job opportunities for students ranging from ages 15-18. This job has a possibility for part-time help. Employees would work in the office and have cleaning duties, and there would be possible time in the classroom. Students working will be needed from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on select weekdays. Students applying must be reliable and a “people person” according to owner Ricci McLaren. Minimum wage is the offered pay for this position. Currently, two AHS students–Aleigh Bean and Tayler Burg–are employed by Dance Atlantic. Interested students can stop into the office at the studio or call give them a call at 712-243-5072.

Atlantic Specialty Care

Atlantic Speciality Care offers rehabilitation services, skilled nursing care, long term care and hospice care. They are looking to hire high schoolers. Positions available include CNA and Dietary Aid. CNA stands for Certified Nursing Assistant. To apply for the CNA position you must be certified. A dietary aid prepares and handles food as well as cleaning the kitchen. For more information, you can visit their website at https://www.careinitiatives.org/atlantic-specialty-care/careers. Applications can also be found on their website. A shift that seems to work well for high school students is either after school or from 4-8 p.m.

KSOM

96.5 KSOM is a local broadcasting radio station, providing a country music format to areas centered around southwest Iowa. With positions available for the public, this business is looking for some weekend on-air talent, as well as someone who is interested in running the audio console during athletic events. Open to high school students, the job features working out the logistics of broadcasting during games, such as making sure the announcers are on air and are appropriate. Pay for these tasks start at $9 an hour. Available times for such would include the afternoon and evenings while a game is being broadcasted, as well as on Saturdays from 5:45 to 10 a.m. According to Frank Rizzo, a radio personality of 96.5 KSOM, working as a part of the crew is “a fun job and can be challenging to work on,” yet is rewarding to do. Interested students can stop by the studio or contact him via email, [email protected].

Nishna Valley Family YMCA

The Nishna Valley Family YMCA is currently looking for students willing to work the slide attendant and lifeguard positions in their facility after school and on the weekends. Aquatics Director Chelsie Huddleson spoke about the openings. “Slide attendants control traffic of slide while maintaining safety for swimmers. Lifeguards allow a safe environment for water users. Whether it’s for recreational use, competition or just playing in the water.” To work as a lifeguard you need to be formally certified by the Red Cross. If you are already certified under a different organization, then you need to speak with Huddleson about the transfer over. “If you’re able to provide a safe environment then it’s not difficult,” Huddleson said. Wages for the two positions vary with slide attendants starting at minimum wage and lifeguards starting at $8 an hour. If interested in one of these positions, you may call, email or visit Huddleson at the YMCA. 

Rolling Hills Bank and Trust

Rolling Hills Bank and Trust is looking into part time help on Saturdays, and in the summer. An employee would have to interact with customers in the drive-thru, as well as in the bank. Transactions, depositing checks, and other accounting duties are all tasks that come with this job. Communication is an extremely important part of this job. Also, it is helpful to have past accounting experience and to enjoy math. Interested students should visit Rolling Hills in person to discuss employment.

Baxter Cycle

Baxter Cycle is looking for part-time employees to fill seasonal hours, specifically in the summertime. They would need to be a “gopher” in order to help others who work at the shop. They would also be tasked with detail work part time. Workers would need to have an attention to detail, as well as have simple problem-solving skills. Accepted applicants would earn minimum wage or a little bit over. If interested, students can call the shop in Marne at 712-781-2351.

View Comments(1)

AHSneedle • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• B

Brigham HoeghJan 10, 2019 at 7:55 pm

This is great work! I hope both students and employers benefit! Nice job covering local news AND building community!

Reply
1