Homecoming Frenzy
Categories:

Homecoming Frenzy

Reflect on what all makes an AHS Homecoming week so special.
The Coaches' Point of View
The Coaches’ Point of View

Homecoming involves two important sports: football and cheerleading. Football coach Bryce Smith and cheer coach Katie Hedegaard have different thoughts for the upcoming day. Hedegaard said that she is pumped and excited to see all the cheerleaders’ hard work pay off, Smith on the other hand mentioned that it’s just another day and just an average game. Both sports worked hard and both coaches looked forward to something different, Hedegaard looked forward to watching the routine and watching the cheerleaders succeed. Smith looks forward to the parade and showing off the players to the community. 

In contrast to Coach Smith, Hedegaard’s schedule was “absolutely insane.” She reported that her day started at 6 a.m. and ended at about 11 p.m. Both activities perform in their own way that day, advice though will differ with each coach you ask, Smith’s advice to his players is “Once you walk into Trojan Bowl you are an Atlantic High School football player and nothing else.” Hedegaard’s advice to her cheerleaders would be to “smile non-stop” because “no matter what enjoy yourself.” Even though both sports are different they both coordinate and are important Homecoming in their own ways.

From a Football Player's Eyes
From a Football Player’s Eyes

Senior Tristan Hayes is an AHS football player (he has been involved in football his whole high school career.) Hayes said that his feelings on Homecoming day are not just like an average day, he is excited and looks forward to what the day will bring. As an Atlantic High School football player, he was eager to play in the game and he looks forward to performing in order to help his team win. Hayes was unable to help in the float building process but instead rode in a convertible during the parade, as he was on Homecoming court this year. AHS has many Homecoming traditions but Hayes said his favorite would have to be dodgeball during seminar period. Some advice that he would give his fellow players would be to “not get ahead of yourself.” He mentioned that even though it is an important game to still “lock in” and have fun as well.

Our President & Queen
Our President & Queen

Senior Emma Winford is the AHS student council president and 2024-25 Homecoming Queen. She has been involved in student council for all four years of her high school career. Her first feeling for the day was that she was stressed and nervous because “if something goes wrong it’s on me,” Winford said. Something she looked forward to was seeing everyone show school spirit and getting excited for the game. Winford helped build her class float and played a large part in creating it. She did not ride her class float but instead, she will ride in a Homecoming court convertible during the parade. As AHS has many Homecoming traditions Winford said that the weekly activities are her favorite. Since Homecoming Day is so busy as a student council member, Winford said, “I try to handle the stress along with having fun as well,” and that is what Homecoming is all about.

What About the Student Body?
What About the Student Body?

Sophomore Cooper Woosley is an AHS student. Woosley is not involved in any fall activities but that doesn’t mean he isn’t involved at all. Woosley was involved in his class float and worked hard at building it. He also rode on the float in the parade. Woosley’s initial thoughts on homecoming was excitement, he liked that the day was filled with fun and the schedule was “all crazy.” One thing that he looked forward to was the parade and giving candy to all the people and kids. His favorite homecoming tradition was lunch games, he liked that it gave students something to do during lunch. As a student, with all the activities going on during the week, he said that he absolutely participates – Woosley said, “High school is all about having fun.” Woosley also mentioned that at the football game, the student section’s energy was like no other and more hype than an average game, giving the game some novelty. 

Now for Our Royalty
Now for Our Royalty

Seniors Jarret Hansen and Morgan Botos were a part of this year’s 2024 AHS Homecoming court. They both felt excited and had a lot of fun throughout the Friday of Homecoming week. Botos said that something she looked forward to was the pep rally and Hansen said he looked forward to the “big game.” Both Botos and Hansen rode on court convertibles, Botos did help build her class float and said, “It went well and [we] had many creative ideas.” Both candidates mentioned that their favorite tradition is dodgeball because they liked competing with the different grades and having some friendly competition. This year being court candidates was new to them of course, bringing so many new opportunities to look forward to. Botos mentioned, “It’s cool to see the people you’ve grown up with achieve goals and be involved in new activities.” Hansen said that he “likes the sense of responsibility and honor there is being a candidate.” Being a Homecoming candidate is a wonderful experience and opportunity.

There are many moving parts in the Homecoming experience and it didn’t just start on that Friday, there is so much detail and planning that goes into the events, activities, and extracurriculars that AHS does during the week. With all that planning there are also a lot of people involved in providing a memorable week.

Update: edited [10/04/2024 at 6:36 pm for clarity.]