2012 Trojan football recap

By Brett Keegan and Jacob Dvorak
The 2012 season brought a lot of success for the Atlantic Trojans. The Trojans came into the season under a new coach, Nick Ross.
The Trojans finished the season 5-4, which was their first winning season in 6 years. Throughout the season the coaches and players talked about mountains and valleys. During the games they found ways to get out of the valleys but also had to make sure they did not get too high on the mountain.
Junior Logan Steffens and senior Kray Lukeheart make a tackle against Clarinda on a punt return. Steffens and Lueheart both played special teams and offense.
This could have been one of the reasons why they had success. Another reason was the team’s talent.

Senior Kray Lukeheart’s favorite memory of the football season was, “The very first play of the year, you know.”  Lukeheart was referring to his 95-yard kick-off return for a touchdown against Clarinda.  Lukeheart’s game-chaning plays throughout the season included big hits against L.C. and Perry, and

Coach Ross said his favorite memory of the football season was “The ADM game, coming from behind and making the plays in the clutch, mainly the two-point conversion against ADM and the excitement from all the students and families in the stands.” Coach Ross said the team made improvements and over the year.

Several long-standing records were also broken this year. Senior quarterback Harrison Hoegh passed Brett Myer (2002 season) to break the all-time career and single-seasons record for passing yards for Atlantic High School. Hoegh teamed up with Sam Markham all season who broke the single-season and career-records for receiving yards. Seniors Lukehart and Dalton Franken also made the record boards for receiving.
The 2012 football season produced a lot of great things for the Trojans. A number of players were able to gain spots on the all-district team. Sam Markham earned a unanimous first-team spot at receiver for the explosive playmaking he showcased all season. Chad Christensen also grabbed a spot on first team all-district at safety. Brothers Harrison and Stuart Hoegh were both named: Harrison as first-team player at large, and while Stuart Hoegh and Bryce Wernimont both made second-team at linebacker. Franken, Nick Olsen, and Tyler Christiansen all made honorable mentions.