Bullied? What to do

By Alyssa Adams, Allyiah Jacobsen and Acacia Wilson

According to AHS guidance counselor Craig Fredin, if students feel they are being bullied, the first thing to do is tell someone.

Fredin says the biggest problem is that students don’t tell anyone when they’re being bullied. “We can’t help them if we don’t know.”

First talk to a guidance counselor, suggested Fredin, and then take it to Vice Principal Josh Rasmussen.

Fredin defined the mildest form of bullying as teasing, but also intimidating and not allowing a student to go on with their business. Fredin says the most common way to bully is through texting or Facebook and Twitter, because bullies can stay anonymous. “That’s the ultimate definition of a coward,” he said.

AHS guidance counselor, Heather McCue says AHS doesn’t keep a tallied number of the yearly harassments at AHS. “I keep some and [the central office] keeps some,” she said. McCue says for the most part, she handles the girls and Rasmussen handles the boys. McCue feels that if she sits the students down face-to-face, it is more likely they will be honest and try and get them to come to a fair agreement.

McCue says there are more reported harassments and fights between two girls than between two boys, but it just depends on the class. “More common this year is no specific class. It is a lot of upperclassmen to lower-classman or opposite of that.”

AHS junior Heather St. John defined bullying as when a student gets picked on by other peers. Sophomore Nicole Baier defined bullying as putting someone down.

Students report a range of bullying observations. Junior Morgan Magers says she sees bullying once in awhile. Baier said she sees bullying, and St. John says she does not see bullying.

Dr. Borba’s “Reality Check” website includes several suggestions–like this one–to reduce bullying.

In her article “Want to Really Stop Bullying? Listen to Students!” Dr. Michele Borba, Ed.D, wrote many quotes and ideas from students on how to stop bullying. Some are to tell teachers to stand in the halls since that is where most bullying happens, have reporting boxes for students being bullied, and encourage teachers to tune in to students and let them know someone cares.

Elie Wiesel, survivor of a concentration camp, said, “I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”

Harassment Code No. 502.10R of the AHS handbook states: Harassment of students by other students will not be tolerated in the school district. This policy is in effect while students are on school grounds, school district property, or on property within jurisdiction of of the school district; while on school-owned and/or school-operated buses, vehicles or chartered buses; while attending or engaged in school activities; and while away from school grounds if the misconduct directly affects the good order, efficient management and welfare of the school district.
Harassment prohibited by the district includes, but is not limited to, harassment on the basis of race, sex, creed, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability. Students whose behavior is found to be in violation of the policy will be subject to the investigation procedure which may result in discipline, up to and including, suspension and expulsion.

The handbook also includes the following guidelines: A student who believes that he/she has been harassed shall notify the building principal, the building investigator. The alternate investigator is the superintendent or a counselor. If the investigator is a witness to the incident, an alternate investigator shall be the investigator.

Information received during the investigation shall be kept confidential to the extent possible. The investigator shall interview the complainant and the alleged harasser. The investigator may also interview witnesses as deemed appropriate. If the investigator is someone other than the principal, the findings and conclusions shall be delivered to the building principal. The action taken shall be documented and the parties informed of the disposition of the matter.