Drug dog search of AHS is a response to student concerns

By Hope Bowker

A drug-dog search of students’ lockers and bookbags, conducted on Thursday, Nov. 15, went “better” than the one conducted March 8, 2012, according to Principal Heather McKay.

When asked if drugs were found during the search, McKay said, “I can’t answer that.”

Students’ bags line the 400 hallway on Thursday during the drug search. This was the second time the drug dogs have searched AHS in the past year.

The bags were included in the search, said McKay, because there are a lot of security risks in letting students carry large bags, as evidenced by last year’s bomb threat.

McKay said the drug-dog searches are in response to students coming to her office asking her to do more about the drug issue. She wants the community to realize the school is doing everything they can  to make sure there are not drugs in the building.

“I want AHS to be a safe environment.”

McKay wants students to understand that students’ rights will not be violated by the searches.  She said she contacts Corey Larsen (school resource officer), and the school attorney frequently to assure the searches are conducted without breaking the law in any way.

If students have an issue related to drugs, McKay said the first thing  to do is talk to a counselor, a teacher– “someone they trust.” If a student is not comfortable with that, there is a drug-free hotline.  Zion Lutheran Recovery (712-243-5091) also has recovery services for minors and adults. All of these services are anonymous.

McKay said future drug searches will “never” be announced until the moment, just like Thursday’s search.