Who’s in the halls?

By Stormy Christensen and Angel Kunik

Students are expected to be in class learning; however, walk through the halls during class time and you’re likely to see a student or two. Or three. Or four.
Teacher Mandi Brauer said students are in the hall “to get out of class.” She said she thinks they’re wandering.Math teacher Kathy Bradfield said sometimes students are in the halls “to meet their significant others, and sometimes it’s an escape so they don’t have to participate in class.”  She thinks the majority of students are in the hall “just to wander.”  She said students should be kept in class and not let out unless they’re ill.

History teacher Nick Ross said he thinks students are wandering because they don’t want to be in class.   “There needs to be uniform enforcement of the tardy policy and more teacher presence in the hallways,” he said.

Several AHS students in the halls during class talked to AHSneedle. Freshman Miriah Taylor said she was out in the hall “to do a project about fables for Ms. Huggins.”  She also said she did not have her planner and that she was in the halls a lot.

Junior Garrett Peterson said he was out of art teacher Pat Wiederien’s class to go to the restroom.  He said that he is out of class about seven times a week.  He also says that he’s not a wanderer.

Seniors Josh Schorle and Danielle Lambert were working in the history hallway.  They both said when they’re out in the hall, they are not out there for more than three minutes.

A walk in the hall during sixth period found six students. Only one of those students had a planner.