Choice Printing

Student Council volunteers at Special Olympics

By Lillie Zablocki

Twenty AHS students volunteered at the Special Olympics, Friday Oct. 5.  Student Council members helped with the bowling competition at the Super Bowl in Atlantic.  The event took place from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m.  The Student Council members missed all their Friday classes to volunteer their time.Volunteering for the Special Olympics is a new tradition for the Council.  This was the third year AHS provided volunteers.  The members of the Council worked either hands-on with the athletes or as score runners.

AHS principal and co-advisor for Student Council, Heather Mckay, was positive about the council members volunteering. “Oh, I love it! It allows students an opportunity to work with more types of people from other communities.”  McKay added that usually great memories are made.

Teacher Kathy Blazek has coached Special Olympics for 38 years but will be retiring this year.  “I think it’s been a tremendous opportunity for [Student Council] members and athletes.  Both can learn from the experience,” said Blazek. She commented that, “STUCO is phenomenal at working with all levels.”

Student Council President Jake Auerbach described the Council’s work at the event as “Awesome! It’s one of my favorite things to do, as well as other members who look forward to it.”  Auerbach said he hopes that by volunteering the Student Council members realize “that we often see athletes and they are part of our student body, and the overcome challenges and participate.”