Color Guard brings flash to the field

By Becky Schuler with Alaura Schuler

Color Guard members wave their Golden Tickets

The AHS Color Guard performed with the marching band Saturday, Oct. 6, at the Valleyfest competition in West Des Moines.
The six girls who comprise the Color Guard provide a visual element to the marching band performance.The girls who are in this activity are Alaura Schuler, Rebecca Schuler, Hannah McLean, Heather St. John, Mikayla Somers, and Mariah Taylor.
The senior captain is Alaura Schuler, and the junior co-captain is Rebecca Schuler. The captains come up with the choreography for the new season and teach it to the rest of the team. These girls also determine when there should be practices during the week.This year practice is usually on Wednesdays.  Practice runs from about 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. or later.
Hannah McLean, a sophomore color guard member said, “Our practices depend on the other girls’ schedule. We have had practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:45 to 5 or 5:30. But it really just depends on the girls’ schedules.”
McLean commented on the difference between last year and this year: “It’s a lot better this year. We were constantly fighting last year and some things got way out of hand. We still fight, but it’s so much better this year. We mainly just argue now. On a scale from 1-10, I would say a four for last year and a six or seven this year.”

After learning the routines, the color guard uses practice time to clean the moves to make them look sharp and get them together. Their coach, Kathy Somers, provides feedback and suggestions for corrections so that the movements look clean

This year the color guard purchased new flags and updated their costumes. The new flags match the themes of the songs for this year’s field show. The gold flags match the song “Golden Ticket” and new green/orange flags accent the song “Oompa Loompa.”

During the third song, “CandyMan,” the color guard waves giant lollipops for the first couple of seconds. In “Pure Imagination,” they use purple/black flags.

Band director Jarrod O’Donnell, wanted the color guard costumes to look like the characters in the movie “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” Alaura Schuler is Charlie Bucket, Rebecca Schuler is Violet Beauregarde, Hannah McLean is Veruca Salt, Heather St. John is Mike Teavee, Mikayla Somers is an Oopma Loompa, and Mariah Taylor is Augustus Gloop. And Jake Auebrach, a Senior and also a Drum Major is Willy Wonka.