Booster Club donates thousands to AHS

By Journalism Editors

Hawkeye 10 banners brighten up the AHS gym. The banners were purchased by the Atlantic Booster Club last year.

The Atlantic Booster Club’s contributions to AHS activities can be seen everywhere you look: new volleyball uniforms, a 25-second clock at the Trojan Bowl, Hawkeye 10 banners in the gym, and a new basketball scores bench are just some of last year’s purchases by the Atlantic Boosters.

Activities director Josh Rasmussen said the club averages donations of $50,ooo per year.  Their biggest fundraisers, the golf tournament and calendar sales, are usually earmarked for specific projects.  Funds raised by selling concessions are used to support all activities.

The journalism department, for example, received $3000 from the Booster Club this year. “This helps keep the cost of our yearbooks down,” said adviser Allison Berryhill. “Their contribution cuts students’ cost by about $10 per book.”

The Boosters give $5ooo to the band for purchasing instruments each year.

The music department’s purchase of new choir robes this year is another project Rasmussen hopes the Boosters will help support. “We’re very lucky,” said Rasmussen when describing the strength of the Booster Club.

The Booster Club board of directors meets with Rasmussen to discuss what the various coaches and activities directors need. The club, with Rasmussen, decides which projects to fund.  Last year $2500 was spent to display Hawkeye 10 banners in the gym.  Rasmussen explained that the Boosters wanted to express pride in the Hawkeye 10 and to recognize our conference.

While AHS Booster Club has done a lot for AHS, many students don’t realize it.  Sophomore Miranda Olson said, ” I don’t really know much about it. I’m in volleyball and I know they helped with our new uniforms and with the concession stands.” Junior Kristan Johnk said, “The Booster Club helps raise money during events. I really don’t know how they help us, but we got new volleyball uniforms and track spandex last year.”

Chandler Staley, also a sophomore, said, “What Booster Club? I didn’t know we had one. I’m in choir but don’t know if they gave anything to us.”

When asked to guess-timate how much the Booster Club had given AHS this past year, Olson  said, “I don’t know…5,000.” Johnk said,”I think 40,000.” And Staley said, “I don’t know. 100,000?” The actual amount that was given to AHS activities, said Rasmussen, was 50,000-60,000.

Booster Club president Crystal Christensen reminds students that they, too, can work in the concession stands. Christensen estimates the volunteer force of members who help raise funds at 100.  She said there are about 20-30 members who volunteer in the stands.

Schools in our conference also turn to their Booster Clubs for support of activities. Trevis Beeck, president of the Denison Booster Club, said Denison puts on three major fund-raisers each year.  The first is Booster Club memberships, which are offered on business, family, and college student levels. Denison also hosts a youth basketball tournament for fourth- through eighth-grade players. Their third fundraiser is a night of comedy.  “We bring in a comedian, serve a meal, and host a small auction,” said Beeck. The night of comedy is Denison’s Booster Club’s largest fund raiser.

Beeck said, “We sell probably 100 memberships each year.  However, 10 or less attend the Monthly Booster Club meetings.” The Denison Booster Club donates over $40,000 back to the school each year.

AHS volleyball players sport new uniforms this season, thanks to the Atlantic Booster Club.