Show me your art

By Stuart Hoegh

The Hawkeye 10 Art Show was hosted  last Wednesday, April 25, at Atlantic High School.  Each school in the conference receives thirty ribbons and then awards  three to every other school.  The students vote as a school and the top three vote-getters are awarded.

The Hawkeye 10 art show also had different workshops for art students to go to during the afternoon.  The workshops included Scott Esbeck with caricatures and Dan Mikkelson with taxidermy.

Atlantic High School art teacher Pat Wiederien said “I think it went quite well.  Students were in the workshops instead of being in the hall.”

Wiederien also said she would like the ribbons to be a little more competitive.  She said in the past the Hawkeye 10 didn’t give out ribbons, but there were many complaints about the show not being a contest. Some conferences around the area bring in professional artists to judge and Wiederien is a supporter of this idea.

Junior Cammi Nelson was awarded the most of any Atlantic student with four ribbons.  Wiederien was not surprised by what art received ribbons saying her students’ entries “are all capable of winning.”

Junior Harrison Hoegh won a ribbon for his wessel. The wessel was a combination of a camel, duck, and seal.

Many schools brought interesting things as Wiederien noticed: “Harlan has nice drawing” and “Glenwood does well with painting.”