Bienvenido a la escuela, el Sr. Luethke

By Tori Dolch

As many students walked into Spanish, they had a surprise. They saw a new teacher standing in the front of the room greeting them, Mr. Daniel Luethke. Luethke will be finishing the school year  in place of Dan Fallon.

Luethke has lived in Denver, Colo.  He also lived in Arkansas for two years where he worked on an organic farm.  Most recently he has lived in Arizona where he worked as a sushi chef. Luethke went to Coe College in Cedar Rapids to study education, Spanish, and minor in history. He graduated in 2008. Luethke has been to three Spanish speaking countries: Mexico, Spain, and Costa Rica.

Luethke said he heard about this teaching position for vocal music teacher Luke Johnson, who called him as soon as he found out about the opening. Luethke said his biggest challenge would be trying not to change any forms of methods and not to have a party every day. When asked about being here next year, Luethke said he was still thinking about it. He is going to use these few weeks as a trial run for his decision later.

Junior Dalton Franken said, “He is a very reasonable guy and easy to get along with.” Junior Liz Guttenfelder areed. Mr. Johnson made the comment that, “ Luethke is positive, cheerful, a good demeanor for students, easy going, wants what’s best for the students, and is eclectic.”

WELCOME DANIEL LUETHKE -- A new teacher is teaching Spanish during the last weeks of school. Daniel Luethke is teaching Spanish 1 and Spanish 3.