Update with McKay

Who's that in Fallon's chair? Teacher Dan Luethke will teach Spanish during the final three weeks of school. Substitute teacher Julie Kennon (foreground) helped Luethke adjust to the new room.

By: Macie Lee Mahan

Big Smile - Principal Heather McKay

Sometimes students in AHS wonder about what’s going to happen next year. Are we eliminating Seminar and going back to Primetime?   Is Fallon coming back?  Is school still going to start at 8 a.m.?  Principal Heather McKay provides the answers.

NEXT YEAR’S SCHEDULE:  The schedules will be the same.  Students will come to school at 8 a.m. and leave at 3:19 p.m. Seniors will still have the option of open first or eighth periods.  Special Education teacher Tarah Anderson said she’s not worried about the schedule response  “because I’m moving to the Washington school where school starts at 8:15a.m to 3:05p.m.”

SEMINARS:  According to McKay, the seminars will be the same, but will only meet one day a week, on Wednesdays. Freshman Dwayne McDaniel is not happy about this change. “I want it to be every day,” said McDaniel.

MR. FALLON: McKay commented that Mr. Fallon will not be returning to the AHS next year. “It’s a personal matter,” she said. Senior Amber Bishop said, “ It’s depressing. I think [Mr. Fallon] is a really good teacher.” Dan Luethke, a Coe College graduate, will fill in for Fallon during the final weeks of school.

NEW BIOLOGY TEACHER:  Bryan Woods has been hired as the new biology and anatomy teacher for next year. He will replace Dan Huey, who is retiring.  Woods saw an ad in the Des Moines Register and applied for the job.  McKay commented on the process of selecting a new teacher: “In an interviewing process you can learn so much about a person, and I think [Mr. Woods] will be good in our science department and he will be good with our students.”