Get your ACT together

By Tori Dolch

Some of you may have missed the last ACT on April 14, but don’t worry. The next test day is June 9.

According to guidance counselor Heather McCue, anyone who is willing can take the ACT, but most don’t take it until their junior or senior year. The test is used for college entrance, to see how good you are at taking tests, and also used for college placement to see what classes you would do best in.

A good range to score depends on what test you take. A good range for English would be 18 or high, but for math it is 21 or higher. Some people score a 17 on the test and think that it is terrible, but the test score range is 0 through 36.

McCue said, “The ACT is a good way to know what areas you need to work on.” The areas you are tested on are English, math, reading, and science.

Junior Abby Johnson took the four-hour ACT test on April 14. Johnson said, “I thought it was very hard to stay focused for the ending test because I was just ready to get out of there by then.”

Freshman Kate Fulk had a similar opinion on taking the test, even though she has not taken it yet. Fulk commented, “I’ve heard it is really hard. I don’t think one test should place you in college because not everyone tests well, but they are still good in school.”

Students can register online for June 9 testing at ACTstudent.org. May 4 is the deadline for test registration.  Students with questions should talk to counselor McCue or Craig Fredin.

Junior Libby Gifford prepares for ACT testing. Study booklets are available in the guidance office.