Hopper-Henningsen keeps students hopping

By Alaura Schuler

Meryl Hopper-Henningsen is the FACS teacher at Atlantic High School. She teaches students of all grades with this semester classes of Foods 1, Child Development, International Cuisine, and Introduction to  FACS. She has 84 students in her classroom every day.

Seniors Katie Groves and April Ussery help out junior Shelbi Tichota with her sewing project in Intro. to FACS.

Hopper-Henningsen couldn’t decide which class she likes to teach most or teach least. “I like all of them. It just depends on who is in the class.” In Foods 1, the students are working on the nutrition of grains and whole grains and learning to cook with the different types of grains. Freshman Matt Smith said, “It’s just fun to cook.We made a rice thing yesterday, April 26.”

When asked about the cooking and test on April 27, freshman Marissa Pikula from Walnut said, “I made muffins yesterday and I’m going to try and not fail my test.”

The Foods 1 class will be having a written test then a performance test in the kitchen cooking one of the things they had already made by themselves.

In Hopper-Henningsen’s Intro. to FACS, students are currently sewing pillows and will be designing neckties after that.

Freshman Bethany Schmitt said, “The cooking unit was fun because I liked to cook the bread and cake. The pillow making is wonderful–not really.”

Teacher Ms. Hopper-Henningsen helps out freshman Matt Smith in Foods 1. Smith needed help from his teacher with cooking.