Strategies for Surviving the Lunch Line

By Josh Schorle
    We all know the rush to lunch is crazy, and if the line is long, people can be left with only minutes to eat. But sometimes, people you could have sworn were behind you just magically end up in front of you. Students have developed tips and tricks for getting their food faster.Some students can be very secretive about their line jumping. Junior Ryan Beymer said you “walk up to someone you know” or “take two steps when someone [else] takes one step.” Sophomore Maren McNees said you “go up by your friends and try not to let Mr. Blake see you.”A student who asked not to be named suggests “tapping on someone’s shoulder. [Then] as they turn around, go in front of them.”Some students are more deliberate about cutting in line. Sophomore Sam Reno said I “just straight walk up to the front.”Not all students cut in line. Sophomore Joey Nielsen said, “ I just wait, I sit down til it gets short and then I go up.” Neilsen says it works okay and she gets enough time to eat.  “It’s easier and rather wait for [the line] to get shorter,” she said.

Senior Ethan Westering participated in a project for sociology in which he and two other students deliberately cut in line to see students’ reactions. Westring said they told Mrs. Franken ahead of time about their plan. “I just walked up in front of everyone and no one said anything. Nobody yelled at me or Flo [Christian Holazpfel],” said Westring, but they yelled at junior Noah Welter, “No! You can’t cut!”Westring said he often brings his lunch, but on days like today, “I just run.”
    HUNGRY FOR FOOD - Students grab their food during B-lunch.