Autism Speaks

By Liz Guttenfelder

On Monday, April 2, Autism Speaks, the world’s leading autism science and advocacy organization, will be celebrating World Autism Awareness Day and Light It Up Blue to help shine a light on autism.

According to Moderate Special Education teacher, Beverly Schelling, “In 1963, the puzzle piece was selected as the symbol of autism.”  This symbol was chosen to show the children are “handicapped by a puzzling condition.” Schelling also said, “The puzzle piece also shows the mystery and complexity of the syndrome and denotes the mechanical nature of the thought process of those with autism.”

According to the Autism Speaks website, Light It Up Blue, in its third year, is a “unique global initiative to help raise awareness about the growing public health concern that is autism.  Iconic landmarks around the world will Light It Up Blue to show their support.”  Some of these landmarks include: The Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Christ the Redeemer, Great Buddha at Hyogo, and the Sydney Opera House. Pictures of these landmarks lit in blue can be seen here.

One thing Autism Speaks is doing is teaming up with The Home Depot for Autism Awareness Month in April.  The Home Depot began selling blue Defiant LED lanterns and blue light bulbs on March 15.  Money from each sale is being donated to the Autism Speaks organization.

According to the website, the “Centers of Disease Control and Prevention updated its autism prevalence in the United States to one in 88 children (one in 54 boys and one in 252 girls)”.

Help Light It Up Blue this coming Monday by wearing blue!