March Madness

By Blake Meneely
March Madness is in full swing.  Games played on March 14 saw Lamar beat Vermont to play against North Carolina on March 15. South Florida beat California  for the number 12 seed and a spot to play the number five seed Temple.

The first two rounds were played in Louisville, Portland, Albuquerque, Greensboro, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Nashville and Omaha.  The Sweet 16 match-ups have been played in Atlanta, Phoenix, Boston, St. Louis.The Final Four and the Championship game will be played in New Orleans.

Four March Madness games were played in Omaha, Neb., in the Century Links Center.  Florida came out on top of Virginia, and Missouri lost to Norfolk State.  Saint Mary’s lost to Purdue, and Kansas beat Detroit.

Thursday March 22 was the first day of the sweet 16 match-ups.  The number-one seed Syracuse beat the number-four seed Wisconsin 64-63 in a close game.  The number-four seed Louisville upset the number-one seed Michigan State 57-44.  The number-two seed Ohio State beat the number-six seed Cincinnati in the battle of the Buckeye State 81-66.    Number-seven Florida upset the number three Marquette 68-58.

Friday March 23 will be the second day for Sweet 16 match-ups.  Xavier will face the number-three Baylor at 6:15 p.m.  Indiana will be face number one Kentucky at 8:45 p.m..  Ohio will compete against number-one North Carolina at 6:47 p.m. NC State will be facing number-two Kansas at 9:17 p.m.

With Florida winning, they will be playing Louisville for the West Region Elite 8 match-up in Phoenix.  The number-two Ohio State will be battling the number-one Syracuse in the East Region Elite 8 match-up in Boston.

Many students and faculty enjoy watching all the great match-ups, and all the big upsets that have happened or will happen.  There are many students and faculty who have made brackets and put them in pool.