New game hits AHS

By Blake Stender

The free app Words With Friends has made a hit at Atlantic High School in the past few weeks.

Words With Friends (WFF) gives users the opportunity to play a game similar to Scrabble with their friends or strangers by using 3G or Wi-Fi.

English teacher Elizabeth Huggins commented on students playing the game at school: “If a student is done with their work and their alternative is playing Angry Birds or texting, I think [Words With Friends] is a lot better use of their time.  But if they are doing it in the place of their work, then obviously it’s not okay.  I play Words With Friends with other teachers at other schools, but I don’t play when I’m working.”

Sophomore Nick Barry does not have a favorite WWF opponent. “Anyone who wants to play me can play me.  Bring it on.”  The best word that Barry has ever played was oyez, which is a call given by a court officer to command attention.

Teacher Allison Berryhill played a 71-point word that used all seven letters: equaled.

What is the best word you have ever played?  Leave a comment and let us know!