New bells sending us to class

By Cassie Long

Before Christmas break, most of Atlantic High School’s students never knew if the bell was going to ring at the right time or not, or if it would ring at all. The office at AHS has struggled to get the bells to ring at the correct times for the right class periods.

The school now has a new bell system that was installed over the break. This new system is designed to be automatic. With the new automatic system this semester, the bells have been ringing at the correct times.

The office personnel said the new system has a program in it that allows the bells to ring without numbers being punched in. All of AHS’s schedules have not been programed into the system yet. The office has been in touch with the programmer for the system in order to fix any issues we have with the new system.

The students, however, aren’t so fond of the new bells. The first day of second semester, the bells were set to a loud volume that most kids didn’t like. JoAnn Kelly, senior, said “the bells are too loud sometimes,” and it makes her jump when they go off.

The volume of the bells has been an issue. If the office turns the volume for the bells down then students can’t hear the announcements. The volume for the bells has to be turned up before announcements and turned back down before they ring the next time. The office said they are trying to get all the kinks in the new program fixed. The office hopes that this new system will make it easier to change classes based on when the bells ring.

Illustration by Cammi Nelson