Choice Printing

@AHSNEEDLE The Top 10 Twitter trends of #2011

@Smilesssssssss Look at me I’m twitterin’!

By Zoe Krueger

Whether it’s blocked on the server, or unblocked the next day, Twitter is kind of a big deal to the students of AHS. Many students participate in the sensation of social networking sites, and over the last year, Twitter has rapidly become a major one in our halls.

With a new year in full tow, we find ourselves reflecting on the previous one. And with that, let’s reflect on Twitter. These are the top Twitter Trends of 2011, according to Twitter.com.

#1 Justin Beiber- With two albums released in the year (“Never Say Never” and “Under the Mistletoe”) the teen made his way to the top tweeted tweeto.

#2 Soccer/Football- The Women’s FIFA World Cup came up as the second most tweeted about topic in 2011.

#3 Lady Gaga- The tour of her “Born This Way” album was enough to bring this amazingly outrageous woman into the top three, as if she needed the tour…

#4 NBA- The defeat of the Miami Heat by the Dallas Mavericks culminated the NBA finals for the 2011 basketball season. The fall strike added a tweet or two.

#5 Jonas Brothers- Whether it be the fans or “haters” that tweeted enough about the brothers to bring them to the top five, let it be known: No press is bad press.

#6 Christmas- This holiday and other Christmas-themed trends began to chart in November and continued well into January.

#7 Super Junior- This nine-member South Korean boy band is known throughout Asia for their Super Show.

#8 Britney Spears- The girl we all grew up with, jamming out to while singing “Hit me baby one more time,” made her way into the top ten with her four hit singles from her 2011 album “Femme Fatale.”

#9 Japan Earthquake- A 9.0 earthquake hit off the coast of Japan on Friday, March 11, 2011, resulting in a tsunami and international relief efforts.

#10 One Direction– The British-Irish boy band formed during the 7th season of UK’s X Factor.

Additional Top 10 Twitter Trends of 2011

Top 10 Trending US TV Shows

1. Glee
  2. Saturday Night Live
  3. The Vampire Diaries
  4. The Jersey Shore
  5. 106 & Park
  6. Grammy Awards
  7. Academy Awards
  8. MTV VMA’s
  9. Kids Choice Awards
  10. Golden Globe Awards

Top 10 Trending Movies

1. Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows
  2. Harry Potter Series
  3. Phineas & Ferb: The Movie
  4. The Twilight Series
  5. Never Say Never 3D
  6. Cowboys & Aliens
  7. Finding Nemo
  8. Batman: Dark Knight Rises
  9. Queen: Days of Our Lives
  10. A Fairly Odd Movie