Trojans’ defense dominates in win over Warriors

by Anthony Robinson

After allowing 76 points to Lewis Central on Tuesday and 54 points to Denison on Friday, the Trojan defense held the Norwalk Warriors to 33 points Saturday night. Atlantic defeated Norwalk 53-33, Saturday night at the AHS gym.

“Overall, playing back-to-back, I thought our kids got down and got after it on the defensive end,” coach Steve Blazek said after the game.

With the win, the Trojans improved to 7-2 on the season.

From the opening tip, the Trojans’ applied a full-court press. Norwalk was able to take care of the ball, but never got anything going  in the half-court against the Atlantic defense.

In the first half, the Trojans limited second-chance opportunites for the Warriors.

With just under three minutes to play in the first quarter, the Trojans led 10-2.

Atlantic led 16-6 at the end of the first eight minutes.

The Warriors never led Saturday night.

Atlantic was able to put pressure on Norwalk without fouling. The Warriors didn’t attempt a single shot from the free-throw line in the first half.

Norwalk went only two for five from the line in the second half.

The Warriors’ six foot eight inch junior center Carson Miller was held to two points in the first half. Miller was tough match-up for the Trojans defensively, but the Miller was kept in check for most of the game.

Norwalk tried to pound the ball inside to Miller during the second half, but the big man scored only nine points, giving him 11 total on the night.

After a dominating rebounding effort by Atlantic in the first half, Norwalk was able to get a few second-chance opportunities, but the Trojans didn’t waste a single offensive possession of their own.

The home team shot 44 percent from the field (21-48) and 42 percent from beyond the arc (5-12).

The Trojans led by as many as 21 late in the fourth quarter.

Atlantic outscored Norwalk 28-20 in the second half.

Dalton Franken led the Trojans with 26 points.

Senior Blake Esbeck didn’t record a point, but for anyone who knows the game, Esbeck’s play defensively and rebounding , made up for his lack of scoring.

“If we could get everyone to go to the offensive boards like he does…we’d be a great offensive rebouding team,” Blazek said, “Blake played really, really well for us [tonight].”

The Trojans are back in  action at home on Monday against Tri-Center for their third game in four days. The game is the second part of a girl-boy doubleheader on Monday.

Atlantic Scoring- Dalton Franken-26; Sam Markham-14; Chad Christensen-9; Mitch Leiferman-2; Harrison Hoegh-2