Trojans control game against Cyclones

by Anthony Robinson

The Trojans trailed 8-7, but after a three-point basket by junior Chad Christensen, Atlantic never looked back. The Trojans led by as many as 17 in the first half, before beating Harlan 58-29 on Tuesday, Dec. 20.

The Trojans improved to 5-1 on the season and 4-0 in Hawkeye 10 Conference play.

Atlantic out-rebounded and out-shot the Cyclones Tuesday night.  

According to senior Gunnar Blum, rebounding was the difference in the game. The Trojans out-rebounded Harlan 30-22.

Blum and junior Dalton Franken led the Trojans with 10 rebounds a piece.

The Trojans also ended the game 20-47 from the field (43 percent) and held the Cyclones to 30.5 percent from the field (11-36).

Three players from Atlantic finished in double-figures. Junior Sam Markham led all scorers with 15, Franken added 13, and junior Chad Christensen ended the game with 12 points.

The Trojans trailed early, 6-3 after two old-fashioned three-point plays converted by Harlan’s 6’7″ forward Seth Lansman. Lansman scored only four points the rest of the night, hitting only two of his final eight shots.

Atlantic also held Zach Osborn (who came into the game averaging 18.2 points per game) to his lowest point total of the year.  Osborn scored only five points; making only one of eight shots taken.

The Trojans broke the game open in the second quarter with a 9-0 run to take a 29-12 lead just before the half.

Harlan went on a six to nothing run to pull within single digits, 29-20, to start the third, before Atlantic ended the quarter on a 10-2 run.

The Trojans next game is Tuesday, Jan. 3 at Lewis Central.

For complete stats from the game Click Here.