Class introduces students to college success

By Hope Bowker
Each day another senior comes down with the dreaded disease: senioritis. Seniors can’t wait to be done with high school and at last experience the freedom of college.

But how many AHS seniors are ready to successfully make the transition from high school to college?

Freshman students at Central College in Pella, IA, get off on the right foot by taking a class called Intro to College Success.

ICS teacher Ellie Burns describes the class as, “a course to assist each student in making a successful transition.”

The 10-week class covers such skills as accepting personal responsibility, developing emotional intelligence and discovering self motivation. During the 10-week course the students are also required to attend a team building retreat.

Burns said the class would benefit high school students because, “it would help them understand the importance of taking ownership for their futures by making wise choices.”

Students’ responses to the class have been positive.  Bridgette Fritz said, “I loved my ICS class! It was awesome because I got to know the people in my class! … Everybody was so nice and whenever I would see anyone from my class on campus we would always say hi to each other!”

Part of the class involved a team-building retreat.  Fritz said, “After we all went on the class retreat together, we all ended up being really close, and that was really awesome!”

Central student Emily Friedricks said, “Overall I absolutely loved our ICS class!…The small class size made it easy to make friends quickly and the full day retreat we went on helped us all bond. I was so sad when the ICS class ended because my favorite time of the week wouldn’t be occurring anymore.”

Friedricks said she has maintained relationships she built during the class. “Whenever I see anyone from that class on campus we always say, ‘Hello.’ It’s terrific that one, short, 10-week class had such an incredible lasting impression on me!”

Kirby Coppess said, “I thought the class was fun.  Could of done without the quizzes, but it was still good to meet new students, especially coming to a new place and what not.”

Some seniors at AHS may find that a class like ICS would help them make the transition from high school to a college campus easier. Senior Sara Forster said the toughest part for her will be getting used to a larger school, with more students per class.