Choice Printing

Student spirit and sportsmanship show at games

by Paul Honke

The student section at games is a good place to have fun, but it can also be a recipe for disaster.

Ball games at Atlantic High School are always a big hit. Swarms of people all around town come together to see the athletes play. On one south side of the gym are the Atlantic fans including parents, families, the team, the scorekeepers, and the sports commentators.

On the north side of the gym, the most energetic Atlantic fans preside: the students of Atlantic High School, wearing what suits them for the “dress day” and cheering on the athletes.

The student section is a good place for students to socialize, have fun, and cheer the team. The student section never fails to show its school pride and spirit throughout the game.

Senior Dillon Linn is very enthusiastic about cheering in the student section.

“For me it’s my last year and I want to go out strong, and in style. It’s the greatest feeling to be with my friends this last year,” said Linn.

However, as fun as it is, there have been incidents where students have gotten in trouble during games. Such was the case last Friday night when the Trojans played Glenwood in boys basketball. Athletic director Josh Rassmussen scolded the students for chanting “short”  and “weak” at Glenwood players.

“It was unsportsman like conduct toward the players,” said Rassmussen. “We want to show sportsmanship every game.”

In response to the scolding senior Ethan Westering gave his thoughts on the ordeal.

“It was a bit dissapointing, just felt like I coudn’t cheer for my team the way I wanted to.”

Either way the student section is a place of school spirit that can be enjoyed when it’s not getting out of hand.