Trojans can’t advance past first round of playoffs

by Anthony Robinson

After giving up 10 points in the first quarter, the Trojans’ offense could only score seven the entire game. The undefeated Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley (BHRV) Nighthawks ended the Trojans’ season with a 17-7 victory this past Wednesday night in Hull during the first round of the 2011 playoffs.

The Trojans ended the season with a 4-6 record.

The Trojans’ defense held the Nighthawks to their second lowest point total in a game this year (15 in first game of season).  “Our defense played well enough to win tonight; offensively we just didn’t put enough points on the board,” head coach Tim Duff said after the game.

After receiving the opening kickoff, the Trojan offense coughed up the ball on the second play from scrimmage.

The Nighthawks scored on an 11-yard run by senior Nathan Alexander to go ahead 7-0,  just two and a quarter minutes into the game.

Senior Derek Stork maintains possession after making an amazing catch during the second quarter.

Atlantic was stopped on fourth down on their next drive and BHRV would kick a field goal with 2:49 remaining in the first quarter to take a 10-point lead.

Fourth-down conversions proved costly for the Trojans. Atlantic converted only one 0f six fourth-down conversion attempts in the first half.

The Trojans could see the endzone in their foresight near the end of the half, but BHRV picked off junior quarterback Harrison Hoegh.

The Nighthawks led 10-0 at the break.

BHRV came out of the second half with a physical approach, scoring from 27-yards out on a quarterback scramble by junior quarterback Brandt Van Roekel, to take a commanding 17-0 lead in the early stages of the second half.

“(BHRV) came out second half; you can tell their coaches got on them about being more physical. They came out in the second half lined up in the power-I, put the ball on the ground, and came at us. We didn’t step up as tough as we needed to against that first drive (in the) second half,” Duff said.

Coach Hackman gives quarterback Harrison Hoegh advice on the sideline.

After a nice return by the Trojans’ special teams, Atlantic marched down field, 57 yards for their first score of game. Senior Gunnar Blum punched the ball across the endzone from the two-inch line on fourth and goal.

“We came back, answered, (and) got on the board,” Duff commented.

The Nighthawks looked to be in business on their next drive, but junior safety Chad Christensen picked off Van Roekel’s pass, giving the ball back to the black and white.

Hoegh threw the ball up for grabs on the first play of the final quarter, and junior Colin Bolkema came down with his second interception of the night.

“We had a few things where the ball didn’t go our way or we didn’t catch a break or we got tripped up on a few runs here or there; just (the) little things,” Duff said.

After gaining 15 yards, BHRV gave the Trojans hope with a turnover of their own.

The Trojans couldn’t make anything of the change in possession.

With 4:33 left Atlantic got the ball with a chance to pull within one score. After getting to midfield, Van Roekel (BHRV’s quarterback) intercepted Hoegh’s pass with 3:42 left.

Junior wide receiver Sam Markham hauls in an impressive catch.

“It wasn’t a lack of effort. I’m proud of the boys,” Duff said after the game, “I couldn’t be more pleased.

“I think everyone here would say they were proud of the way the kids played. They played hard. For the fans that weren’t here, I thought (the boys) represented Atlantic super.”