Seminar replaces Primetime

By Paul Honke

The new school year has brought the loss of a weekly Primetime and the gain of a daily Seminar.

According to  instructor Kathy Blazek, Seminar is a time to “get to know a smaller group of high school students and to be there for them to advise, encourage, share information, and support them in any way. Whether it would be personal or academic, students will receive help and interaction.”

Seminar also has many courses and information the Iowa Core standards require schools to  to give students. Seminar also allows students extra time to study, said Blazek. Students during Seminar will also learn new strategies for better learning.

Many students have compared Seminar to Primetime from last year. While they are similar, Seminar is longer and allows more time for students to get to know one another and build good relationships together, said Blazek.

The staff decided on the addition of Seminar last year, said Blazek, because they needed to have more one-on-one time with students in all disciplinary areas.

The students that participate in Seminar are often indifferent to the removal of Primetime.

“I think that it is way more different than Primetime,” says sophomore Jez Phippen.

“I think that [Seminar] is all right. It would be better if we had food though,” said sophomore Jacob Johnson.