Downloading music is popular but illegal

by: Devin O’Neil

There are many ways to download music using the internet. iTunes, Rhapsody, and Amazon are a few, but the most common way of downloading music is to do so illegally.  According to techdirt.com, the IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry) reports that 95% of all music downloaded is downloaded illegally. A lot of people do it, but they don’t know the consequences.

Consequences of downloading music illegally can be as severe as five years in prison to $250,000 in fines.

Also artists may stop producing music because they are not getting paid for the stolen music.  Illegal downloading can also hinder new or up-and-coming artists or bands by lowering their sales.  This could prevent them from having the funding to make more music.

But what exactly is illegally downloading music?  One definition of illegally downloading music is music piracy.  If you are downloading music using programs such as Limewire, Frostwire, or file sharing, it’s illegal.

Senior Dakota Johnson says, “It’s wrong and against the law but it’s a lot cheaper.”

Senior Matt Thielen says, “If they lower the price per song, people might start buying them again.”

“I think its bad for society,” said senior Brett Dennis, but he doesn’t think people are wrong for doing it.