Trojanns triumph over Harlan

by Anthony Robinson

The Trojann Volleyball team defeated the Harlan Cyclones in the first round of class 3A region two postseason play, three games to none (25-19, 25-16, and 25-19).

The Trojanns could smell the sweep from the opening whistle.  Senior Kristen Schuler started game one with three straight aces serves.  The girls had an added spark in their step all game long after the early momentum.  After leading 20-12, the Trojanns were able to stop an attempt by the Cyclones to get back into the game, ending game one 25-19.

The Trojanns felt a bit of a setback in game two.  The Trojanns led early 4-0, but Harlan scored seven straight points to pull ahead to their largest lead of the entire night, 7-4.  After scoring five out of the next six points, Atlantic took the lead for good.  The Trojanns ran away with game two with a 25-16 win.

Game three mirrored the ending of game two.  The Trojanns jumped out with an early six to nothing lead.  The Trojanns could smell victory, leading by as many as 11 (17-6), before ending the Cyclones’ season with a 25-19 win to complete the sweep.

A huge AHS student crowd dressed in Halloween attire helped the Trojanns keep momentum on their side all night.  Senior setter Jessi Arneson said that the girls plan on “carrying (the momentum) into practice, and (using it) to keep playing hard Thursday.”

The Trojanns travel to Glenwood Thursday, Oct. 28, to face the Red Oak Tigers in the semifinal round of the class 3A region two tournament.