New cell phone policy for AHS

by Paige Lank

According to the 2011-2012 new electronic device rules, cell phones may be used before and after school, during a student’s lunch, and during passing times between classes. This is a change from last year when cell phones were not to be used at all during the school day.

Vice-principal Josh Rasmussen said the change was made because “We want to teach kids to use electronics responsibly. Society is changing; kids are used to using electronics.”

Junior Shelby Tichota said, “I like [the new policy]. I don’t use my phone in class as much because I have time outside of class to use it.”

“If you need to call your mom or something you have time in the hallway to get a hold of them instead of having to take time out of class to go to the office and use that phone,” said junior Hope Bowker.

When asked if he would still use his cell phone in class, junior Seth Rohde say “Yes.”

While the new rules offer students more times during which they can use their phones, teachers may still ban phone use during their classes. As stated in the student hand book,  “Electronic devices may cause disruptions and distractions to the learning environment.”