Eight Vocal Students Accepted Into 2010 All-State Chorus

by Anthony Robinson

Eight students from Atlantic High School have been selected for the 2010 All-State Chorus.  Five more of the twenty-two vocalists who auditioned this past Saturday, Oct. 23, were recalled for the second round of auditions in an emotion-filled afternoon.

The cuts to be sung for the initial auditions were given out at 8:00 a.m.  Only a small portion from six prepared songs were selected for the seven-minute audition.

Several students who auditioned said the cuts for the morning auditions were not terribly difficult and somewhat predictable.

At 9:00, the initial auditions began. During the first round of auditions, students from AHS performed in six trios and one quartet, each with one person on a voice part (soprano, alto, tenor, or bass).

When the initial auditions ended around 1:00 p.m., the waiting game began.  Recall auditions were scheduled for 2:30 p.m., but as it grew closer to the scheduled time, the recall lists had not been delivered.  After all the anticipation, the recall lists were sent out to the directors about 2:35.  Seniors Anna Smith, Mark Jacobson, and Sam Johnson, junior Anthony Robinson, and sophomore Sarah Masker were recalled from AHS.  The emotion-filled afternoon was only beginning.

Around 4:15, the lists of those accepted from the initial auditions were posted. From AHS, senior soprano Samantha Koontz, sophomore soprano Mikayla Somers, freshman soprano Hannah Jespersen, senior altos Kristen Schuler and Sierra Worth, senior baritone Joey Leinen, and sophomore baritone Eric Renner were chosen after the first round auditions.   The emotions of joy from those who made it, and of disappointment from those who were not selected to the choir, filled the steamy Harlan High School gym.

Kristen Schuler made the choir each year that she tried out. “It’s been incredibly exciting each year I’ve made it.  I feel very lucky and honored to have made it three years; it’s such a rewarding experience!”

Sierra Worth tried out three years during her high school career and finally made the choir her senior year. “It’s such a great feeling. I still don’t believe it really happened!”

After the exhausting recall auditions concluded around the six o’clock hour, senior bass Sam Johnson was the only vocalist from AHS to be accepted from recalls.

Vocal music director Luke Johnson said he was proud of each and every student who tried out, whether they made it or not.  The whole process improves each student’s vocal abilities.